Munger Place in brief:
In 1905, cotton gin manufacturer Robert S. Munger and brother Collett, spared no expense in creating " The City Man's Home." To attract the right social element, Munger Place was carefully planned. Just minutes from downtown Dallas by carriage, Munger Place became the very first deed-restricted neighborhood in Texas. Homes had to be a full two stories, cost at least $2,000 and no house could face a side street. The infrastructure featured such amenities as sidewalks, paved streets, shade trees, sewers, gas mains, and electric street lights. Many of the Dallas' leading businessmen and social elite soon called magnificent Munger Place home.
The Great Depression of 1929 almost destroyed Munger Place. Owners began converting their homes into apartments and taking in boarders. The housing shortage following World War II helped perpetuate this trend toward multi-family housing and led to a general decline of the neighborhood. By the late 1960's many of these once -stately homes were condemned, torn down or literally falling apart.
In the mid-1970's, an ambitious group of urban pioneers moved in to reclaim Munger Place. Artists were drawn to the 10 and 12 foot ceilings, wide open entry halls and bright sunlight streaming through the large, leaded glass windows. Many of the dilapidated houses were brought for less than the original 1905 construction costs. Having rescued Munger Place from total destruction, the slow restoration process began.
Here to stay:
In 1980, area residents persuaded the city of Dallas to create the title of Munger Place Historic District. It is now recognized by the United States National Register of Historic Places. Representing over 250 households, the largest collection of Prairie-Style homes in America, Munger Place's future looks better than ever as it celebrated its Centennial Celebration in April 2005.